Old December 19th 04, 08:18 PM
tianli

I own an ICOM IC-751 as well as a the Sony ICF-SW7600GR.

I am consistently amazed of the 7600GR's performance compared to my 751.
Comparing the 7600GR using the Sony wind-up wire antenna attached to its
whip and a 751 using a large horizontal loop about 60 meters in
circumference,
the 7600GR consistently provides a better readable signal which to me
implies
that the Sony has a lower noise floor. The 7600GR is a hot receiver and is
my
choice of any true portable.

The 751 is getting long in tooth. The receiver is supposedly the same as the
R-71A.
The 751 also has loads of issues not the least of which are capacitors going
bad
and numerous other Icom repair bulletins.

I would stay clear of the 751 and indeed save my pennies for the 7600GR.
By the time you properly "fix" a 751 you could have owned two or three
7600GR's.

Of course there are other more reliable used ham gear that performs
better than the 7600GR.

Like all ham sets, it has filters set for the ham bands and outside

those on
RX it is worse. As a basic RX its OK, but you will find something like a
SONY 7600GR will probably be slightly better

I have real trouble imagining this to be true. You're comparing a
table-top transceiver with a purpose-built general coverage receiver
to a pocket portable.

IMHO, don't buy that '7600GR just yet, unless you want a walkaround
portable.