Old December 20th 04, 02:36 AM
running dogg

4nradio wrote:

Australia and New Zealand have both scaled back their broadcasts in years
past, well before the current withering away of European broadcasters. I've
been trying to remember how many years it's been since R. Australia had
transmissions beamed specifically to North America. Has it been 10 years? I
can't recall.

Still, RA's signal gets out phenomenally well, and even the ABC's 120
meterband transmissions are heard regularly on the West Coast of the US.
Anyway, I'd rather listen to broadcasts intended for domestic audiences
instead of the foreign service of any country. This is a large part of the
allure of the tropical bands in particular.

I don't think Australia has had a foreign service for quite a while.
Their current service is geared towards the Pacific Rim. That's why they
announce local times at the top of the hour for places like Hong Kong,
Phnom Penh, and South Pacific island countries like Tuvalu and Fiji
(I've even heard time for the Cook Islands!). I think their current
eastward beamed broadcasts are for Central and South America. The sheer
area of the area in the South Pacific that the ABC wants to cover
demands shortwave, same thing for the sparsely populated Australian
interior, so I doubt that Radio Australia is going away anytime soon.
RNZI also covers this same area (the South Pacific).

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA USA

"Conan Ford" wrote in message
3.159...
I'm located in Calgary, Alberta at about 51 N and 114 W. I've noticed
that
I can often copy Radio Australia and Radio New Zealand International all
throughout the night, even up to 15 mhz sometimes. Shouldn't broadcasts
above about the 49 m band be very hard to hear at night? Sometimes I can
get broadcasts that seem intended for a domestic audience in Australia or
New Zealand. I'm wondering why I can hear these at all. I'm using a
Sangean ATS-803a with a 20 foot horizontal wire fed through a balun and 75
ohm coax.

I've noticed that Radio NZI and Radio Australia don't seem to be scaling
back broadcasts like their European counterparts are. I'm wondering why
this is. My best guess is the sparse population and large area of
Australia makes these broadcasts more useful, as for New Zealand, I'm
guessing the Pacific islands?

I was using the Ilgradio schedule with Scan320DB, but the B04's still
aren't out and the A04's are showing their age. Is there another source
for a quality schedule, or a better database program to use?

Thanks for any info.