Old December 21st 04, 01:22 AM
Radio Flyer

wrote in message
ps.com...
VOA has to know that

RHC is broadcasting to NAm during that time. Is this a deliberate
attempt by the US govt to jam RHC during a popular time for listening?

I would bet good money that it is not an intentional jam by the US govt.
There is simply no reason for it to be so. The US govt will only jam if
there is a very very good reason. We do not want to deal with an incident
for no reason.

Well, we could also surmise that RHC has to know that VOA/BBC is
broadcasting to Central America during this time. So perhaps it's a
deliberate attempt by the Cuban government to jam BBC during a popular
time for listening.

Of course, there is yet a third explanation. I suspect that BBC is
difficult to hear near RHC's transmitters on a receiver without fairly
good selectivity, just as RHC is difficult to hear near Delano on a
receiver without fairly good selectivity. But as an intentional
jamming technique, broadcasting an AM signal 5 KHz away from the
station you're jamming isn't very cost effective. So the simpler
explanation is that both broadcasters are doing their best to be heard
on a fairly crowded band.