Old October 28th 04, 05:14 AM
Cecil Moore

Roy Lewallen wrote:
I feel strongly that if you really understand what you're talking about,
you should be able to express it mathematically as an equation or
equations. I haven't seen any evidence of this.

Well, You're right. I should be able to express it as an equation. Truth
is, personality wise, I tend to deal in concepts, not equations. That's
why the field of digital electronics was so appealing to me. "If it's
not a zero or a one, it's broke!" I seem to have been born with a Boolean
Algebra processor built in. (It's similar to the fact that I can read
Spanish but I can't speak it.)

I have been satisfied all my life to let someone else provide the equations
and so far, I have been able to stand on the shoulders of giants. But in this
case, if anyone has ever provided the equations, I am not aware of it. If
one is so inclined, one might get to be famous by generating those equations.

The S-parameter equations should work just fine at each individual impedance
discontinuity. The trick is in knowing how much to reduce the incident and
reflected voltages because of radiation. It's one approach to think about.

One possible solution would be to model the antenna as a transmission line,
as Balanis and Kraus suggest. If we made a 1/4WL open-circuit stub out of
resistance wire with Z0=600 ohms such that it's feedpoint impedance is 50
ohms, it should be a good approximation to an antenna wire.

In any case, the loading coil has a steady-state forward current (If) and
reflected current (Ib) each of which undergo a phase shift through the coil.
Any phase shift in phasors traveling in opposite directions is cause for
their sums to be different at each end of the coil. I'm surprised that such
a concept is controversial. Exactly the same concept applies to 'X' degrees
of a transmission line with reflections.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp