Old December 22nd 04, 03:53 PM
Tom

Conan Ford wrote:
[snip]

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=5737860 604

You'd think people would realize--if it needs 11 mods, maybe

something
sucks about it to start.

I was looking at one of those, until I saw the 1/5 rating on

DXing.com

I got a DX-394 30 months ago when it was clearing out from Radio Shack
Canada at CDN$130 (then ~US$85, now ~US$105) and have been having a
blast with it since, for these reasons:
a) it has a marvellous set of operating features
b) it has some faults that can be easily fixed; there is a sense of
satisfaction in doing so
c) it can be readily 'hot-rodded' at little expense and low risk and is
therefore a great learning opportunity
d) it is pretty well documented and now has the most extensive
collection of optional mods of any radio (TTBOMK)

I now have three of them in various states of undress and modification.
Sure, my Drake R-4B is reputed to be one of the best DX contest
receivers ever but the DX-394 is better in certain respects, poorer in
others.

That 1/5 rating is exceptional and I cannot find it on www.dxing.com.
For objective reviews, see these:

ARRL Lab, QST, 1997: http://hamradio.online.ru/ftp/pr9710.pdf

Radio Netherlands Receiver Test Laboratory Review of the DX-394
by Jonathan Marks & Tom Sundstrom - 4 out of 5 star "Value Rating"
http://www.rnw.nl/realradio/dx394.html

For other subjective assessments, see:
eHam.net: http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1188 and
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/2108
German: http://www.dr-boesch.ch/radio/realistic-dx394-test3.htm

The DX-394 Special Interest Group is one of the largest for any radio
with 766 members. Users or those aspiring to acquire one are welcome to
join: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RADIOSHACKDX394

73, Tom