Old August 23rd 03, 08:18 AM
Peter O. Brackett

Slick:

[snip]

You are absolutely correct Roy, that formula given by "Slick" is just

plain
WRONG!

rho = (Z - R)/(Z + R)

Always has been, always will be.

[snip]

After consideration, I must agree with Slick.

Slick is RIGHT and I was WRONG!

Slick please accept my apologies!!! I was wrong, and I admit it!

Indeed, the correct formula for the voltage reflection coefficient "rho"
when computed using a "reference impedance" R, which is say the, perhaps
complex, internal impedance R = r + jx of a generator/source which is loaded
by a perhaps complex load impedance Z = ro + j xo must indeed be:

rho = (Z - conj(R))/(Z + conj(R)) = (Z - r + jx)/(Z + r - jx)

For indeed as Slick pointed out elsewhere in this thread, how else will the
reflected voltage equal zero when the load is a conjugate match to the
generator.

Slick thanks for directing the attention of this "subtlety" to the
newsgroup, and again...

Slick, please accept my apologies, I was too quick to criticize!

Good work, and lots of patience... :-)

Regards,

--
Peter K1PO