Old October 28th 04, 07:47 PM
w9gb

"Linux Lover" wrote in message
Howard wrote:

Forget the discone, it will work - though I can't say any better than the
two antennas mentioned - but what you gain in reduced
footprint is lost in the discone being taller.
Also, you can expect to spend more for the discone.

If I can fit it in my attic *and* eliminate the need to have two antennas
(TV and FM), I am willing to spend the extra cost (up to $100).

I get most of the TV stations that I want through basic cable service.
There are two local TV stations that I receive very well with a simple
rabbit ear antenna (came with the TV), so my requirements from a TV
antenna are not very high.

Lynn -

This really gets to the heart of your design and selection question. From
your location you need to determine the bearings 0 to 359 (with North at
0/360 and E at 90 degrees), where the FM (or TV stations) transmitting
antennas are. Geography and population density usually "clump" these large
transmitting towers in a small area. (Chicago - Sears and Hancock
skyscrapers; New York - Empire State Building and Palisades (NJ))

The layout of these transmitting antennas in a 60 mile radius will help you
select the ideal antenna pattern for your location. Instead of an omni, you
may be able to use a beam, if all of the stations (that you really wish to
listen to) are in a 30 degree or less spread.

Greg