Old December 23rd 04, 10:15 PM
R.F. Collins

On 23 Dec 2004 11:27:25 -0800, wrote:

While my primary radio hobby is SWL, I
hold a Extra class ham license. I have
debating with myself about buying a HF
rig and this one is within my price range.
Any comments on how usefull the receiver
is?
Terry

It has a very good receiver. I had one some years back and upgraded to
the Pro II. I still have my R-71A though - it was my first receiver.

In regard to the 3 volt lithium memory backup battery having a
lifespan of 5-7 years in the 751A, 71A etc. (according to Icom web
site): I just replaced the backup battery in my R-71A. It was 20 years
old and still checked 3.25 volts. The new battery was 3.47 volts. I
was worried that the current capacity may diminish with age and cause
a sudden failure, but somehow I suspect the battery would have lasted
another 20 years.

Jim