Old December 27th 04, 04:45 AM
Tony VE6MVP

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 11:36:31 +1100, "peter berrett"
wrote:

Trust me. I'm not proud of myself on this one. sigh

I have relatives in Sri Lanka and the Maldives. Fortunately they
never even noticed. The Maldive clan was wondering why folks were
SMSing them asking if they were ok. As it was Boxing day they hadn't
gone anywhere yet. The power was fine. They hadn't phoned anyone
so hadn't noticed any problems there.

They did go out later and could see some damage to some of the
buildings and stores in Mali, capital city of the Maldives. But
nothing like the deaths and mass destruction that occurred on at least
one island in the Maldives and obviously elsewhere.

One person I know in Thailand said the water stopped 10 meters short
of their hous. shudder

It could've been much, much worse for them obviously. As it is for
many thousands of others who've lost family and houses.

And I'm not buying lottery tickets for a while.

Tony

Looks like you predicted it Tony.

http://english.people.com.cn/200412/...27_168731.html

I just hope that you don't predict an earthquake or a Tsunami hitting
Melbourne in the near future! (Fortunately our bay probably offers us some
protection from a Tsunami)

By the way would you care to guess next week's lotto results?

cheers Peter

"Tony VE6MVP" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 01:26:53 -0500, "Eugene Beep-Beep"
wrote:

If there was to be a tidal wave hitting in the region
it would have struck the nearest land mass 1 hour
ago (US time) As there has been no report of
tidal events from/in the area, the time window for
the same has now past.

Unless the damage is bad enough that nothing is working in that region
or country. For example the Maldives highest point is 2 m (6 feet for
the metrically challenged) above sea level. That'd be a bad place to
get hit by a tsunami.

Tony