Old October 30th 04, 07:57 PM
Jonathan Laub

w9gb wrote:
"J. Laub" wrote in message

I'd like to construct a 15m vert that does not require use of my MFJ Versa
Tuner II. Portability. I started over this afternoon on a new vertical
using plans from a web site.

WIRING:
I've suspended an 11'1" #12 wire for 15 inside some pvc. (While I was at
it I also suspended a 16'5" #12 wire inside the same piping for 20m.)

RADIALS:
I've got six underground radials, 2 @ 11' and 4 @ 5-1/2"

FEEDER & CONNECT POINT:
Using 52ohm RG58 (the thin stuff) to feed into a female coax chassis mount
at base of system. I have a small (maybe 4") of line from the center of
the chassis mount leading to the connection point bolt/wing nut for
each/either wire. This wire is 4" and I suspect this 4" may cause some
electrical lengthening right? If it does, I'm over on measurements for
each. errr....

Other than this possible lengthening, I cannot think of what else to do.

In short, I should probably borrow a dip meter and check for impedance
problem? I was reading that I should attach a silver mica capacitor
across the wires. Haven't tried this yet as they are still in the mail.

I was thinking ahead too when I put this stinker up. I've got a 22-turn
base coil sitting there as my next try but that sort of defeats my
original simplicity plan.

73's-

-=Jon

You may have to use the base coil to properly match this vertical. A 1/4
wave (with a reflected image - Marconi style) will have a 36 ohm impedance
at the feedpoint.
http://pages.intnet.mu/ingepru/antenna.htm

gb

Thanks for the link. What tools would you recommend to check both
resonance and impedance with? MFJ seemed awful pricey.