Old January 2nd 05, 07:30 PM
Al Patrick

Go to www.drm.org to learn all the nitty gritty details.

DRM: Technical Aspects of The On-Air System

The DRM on-air system will propel the AM broadcasting bands below 30 MHz
— short-wave, medium-wave and long-wave - to the next level.

DRM is the only universal, non-proprietary digital AM radio system with
near-FM quality sound available to markets worldwide.

The quality of DRM audio is excellent, and the improvement upon analogue
AM is immediately noticeable. DRM can be used for a range of audio
content, including multi-lingual speech and music.

Besides providing near-FM quality audio, the DRM system has the capacity
to integrate data and text. This additional content can be displayed on
DRM receivers to enhance the listening experience.

Unlike digital systems that require a new frequency allocation, DRM uses
existing AM broadcast frequency bands. The DRM signal is designed to fit
in with the existing AM broadcast band plan, based on signals of 9 kHz
or10kHz bandwidth. It has modes requiring as little as 4.5kHz or 5kHz
bandwidth, plus modes that can take advantage of wider bandwidths, such
as 18 or 20kHz.

---------

The above, except the first line, is a cut & paste from that site.

Al

James wrote:

"Al Patrick" wrote in message

I heard yesterday on shortwave that we can look for DRM radios shortly
at a Wal-Mart near YOU! :-) I don't think they mentioned a brand.

At the risk of putting my hand into the
hollow of a tree and finding a nest of racoons
residing therin, could someone in here please
explain just what a DRM radio is....?