Old January 3rd 05, 09:11 AM
starman

Folks,

Picked up a SONY ICW-SW7600 at a second hand store.
(serial no. 127694)

Alas, apparently I got a model for Saudi Arabia with frequencies
blocked in the LW and SW band. It's missing freqs. between
285-520Khz and 26100-29999Khz according to the manual.

Also missing is the usb/lsb settings in the AM/AM Fine switch.

Otherwise it works well.

However, can a MOD open it up and restore usb/lsb capacity?

It's my first experience with a SONY radio.

Why are LW and SW freqs. blocked for Saudi Arabia anyhow?

Thanks for any comments/advice.

Bill, KC0IZI

It's not hard to restore the blocked frequency ranges by removing a
solder connection but your model is missing the componants for the SSB
circuitry. IMO- That makes it impractical to add SSB when you can buy a
new 7600GR for about $120 or a used one for less. What did you pay for
the 7600?

See the following URL for modifying the Saudi version of the 7600.

http://stephan.win31.de/sony7600.htm#7600g_saudimod