Old January 2nd 05, 08:37 PM
Mark Zenier

In article ps.com,
James wrote:

"Al Patrick" wrote in message
I heard yesterday on shortwave that we can look for DRM radios shortly
at a Wal-Mart near YOU! :-) I don't think they mentioned a brand.

At the risk of putting my hand into the
hollow of a tree and finding a nest of racoons
residing therin, could someone in here please
explain just what a DRM radio is....?

Digital Radio Mondial, which translates (from French) to
World-Wide Digital Radio. It's a system that transmits
a digital datastream of (somewhere around) 20-40k bits
per second in a bandwidth of 9 or 10 kHz using several
hundred subcarriers, each modulated at a slow data rate.

In this datastream is a highly compressed audio broadcast,
with some sort of computer readable data alongside.

If you run across what sounds like white noise (using AM)
over a 10 kHz wide signal, or with a strange tonal waterfall
sound using SSB, this is probably a DRM transmission.
In North America, try 9800 kHz in the afternoon (22:00? to 2:00?
UTC) for the Canadian transmitter at Sackville.

Mark Zenier Washington State resident