Old August 23rd 03, 08:51 PM
Reg Edwards

Roy Sez -
That's fine. I agree entirely, and it follows from my analysis and my
conclusion. A similar analysis can be found in many texts. My offering
to provide a large number of references has brought forth no interest
from the most vocal participants, and they've also showed a lack of
willingness to work through the simple math themselves. So I felt that
it might be a good idea to post the derivation before more converts are
made to this religion of proof-by-gut-feel-and-flawed-logic.

===============================

YOUR analysis !

Oliver Heaviside worked it all out 120 years back.

For those antagonists who are not willing, or are unable, or are too
frightened, or are just too plain lazy to work through the simple ARITHMETIC
themselves, download in a few seconds program COAXPAIR from website below
and run immediately. It is designed to do exactly the calculations everybody
is at war about. (And many more).

Use any ordinary coax with an overal length of 30 dB or more at 1000 Hz (to
ensure a nice negative angle of Zo) and terminate the line with its own
calculated input impedance = Zo = Ro+jXo. Then terminate the line with its
conjugate. Observe what happens to the reflection coefficient, SWR and
actual overall loss. Observe what happens as line length is reduced.

Program COAXPAIR (with other transmission line progs) has been sitting there
for 2 years or more.
---
Regards from Reg, G4FGQ
For Free Radio Design Software