Old January 5th 05, 02:44 AM

Default DX-160: Preselector or 9:1 transformer

Hi--

I have a Realistic DX-160 in very nice conditiion I bought about 10
years ago (for $15!). My current living situation in Los Angeles no
longer affords me the luxury of an outdoor antenna, so I am using 40
ft. of 16 gauge copper speaker wire running along the ceiling moulding
as my antenna.

(ALSO: the DX-160 is in the same room with a lot of other electronic
equipment: computer, TV, stereo, audio recording equipment, mixer,
etc.)

I've read a lot in this newsgroup about modifying the DX-160, but as my
radio engineering skills are in their infancy, I've decided on
improving my antenna situation. It seems preselectors or the 9:1
matching transformer have favorable reviews here but I'd lke to know:

1) The DX-160 has an Antenna trim knob, so is a preselctor redundant?
2) The 9:1 matching impedance transformer is intriguing, but can they
be found/purchased already built?

Thanks in advance for any input!

SWS