Old November 3rd 04, 01:07 AM
Gene Fuller

Reg,

I downloaded and launched the program without difficulty.

It is generally considered "unsafe" to pass around naked 'exe' files in
newsgroups. It is quite typical that newsreaders have a default to
disallow such files. I have also seen downloads of 'exe' files that came
through corrupted for some reason. I do not know why.

In any case the difficulty with bare 'exe' files is one reason that many
files are zipped up.

73,
Gene
W4SZ

(This group is set up as a non-binary group. However, there is no
mechanism that prevent binary attachments, so that would not be the
cause of the problem you report.)

Reg Edwards wrote:
From MY copy of the message I sent containing the binary attachment I get no
response by clicking the program's icon or the 'paper clip'.

I get a message which says "Outlook Express has made the attachment
inaccessible". So its in my computer somewhere but I can't get at it. Not
that I want it.

At some time in the distant past I may have set OE to reject suspicious
non-standard attachments.

But out of curiosity, has anyone managed to download program SELFRES2 ?

Or has it been rejected simply because its a binary file sent via a
newsgroup?

Thank you for your cooperation.

Although the program is finished I am reluctant to make it generally
available via my website because it has not been tested against actual coils
for spurious responses in impedance resonant curves which might restrict
the operating bandwidth at the higher frequencies. It's unexpected defects
in the coils I am interested in rather than defects in the program.
----
Reg.