Old January 5th 05, 05:40 AM
Howard

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 03:25:13 GMT, "Jeff"
wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi--

I have a Realistic DX-160 in very nice conditiion I bought about 10

1) The DX-160 has an Antenna trim knob, so is a preselctor redundant?
2) The 9:1 matching impedance transformer is intriguing, but can they
be found/purchased already built?

The trim knob is just a variable capacitor, which is somewhat what
the preselector is. The preselectors also use inductors in combo with the
variable cap. for the various bands. Personally Id use an MLB (matching
xformer) This will keep the input impedance to the radio fairly constant
around 50-70 ohms from your antenna. The better the impedance match
the more current will flow from the antenna to the radio. They have ready
made ones, I have a Watkins MLB that I dont use anymore if you are
interested.

Jeff

I agree with Jeff and suggest that if you don't want to homebrew your
matching transformer that you look at the ICE 180A. You can view this
at:
http://www.arraysolutions.com/Produc...age%20Matching

There are other out there, however I've found this one::
1) seems to have more positive user reviews than other models
2) has worked quite well for me making me a satisfied customer
3) versatile as it will match 6:1, 9:1, 12:1 and 16:1 so you can
experiment with which value works best for you.

Another option is the PAR end-fed antenna which comes with a 9:1
matching transformer that can be configured in one of two ways in
respect to primary and secondary ground. It comes with 45 feet of
flex-weave wire which is very flexible and easy to work with. You
can check out this antenna at:
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/2205.html

Quadra - I too live in LA and empathize with you regarding not being
able to put up an outdoor antenna. Another thing you might do is
install the antenna in a different room than your electronic gear and
use coax from the antenna to the radio. It probably won't remove all
your household noise but should give you some reduction. If you feel
you need further assistance drop me an e-mail and I'll try to give
more assistance.

Enjoy the radio,
Howard