Old January 5th 05, 06:09 PM
John Plimmer

Actually, Guy, highly respected DXer that he is, is not the only one of the
serious DXer's who have found that the Ten Tec RX-340 does not come up with
the cookies when the DXing gets tough.
I have seen at least two other serious DXers in Europe who did evaluations
of the Ten Tec RX-340 comment that it does not cut the cake when things get
serious.

On another tack, I can confirm that in my use of the Icom 756 PRO III, it
does not have synchronous detection and that the AM audio definitely breaks
up as a result of this shortcoming - putting the RX in ECSS mode for AM
reception does improve matters, however it comes nowhere near the Drake
R8B's performance of superb AM broadcast band reception when its in "sync"
mode.

In another forum Bjarne Mjelde wrote on 050105:
"One thing that is interesting to note is that the 756Pro series do
not use AM Sync Detector, while the 746Pro (which is identical, RF
and IF wise), do. My experience with the 746Pro is that AM quality
is excellent. For those who care more about AM quality than fancy
displays (one would be better off with a spectrum analyser anyway),
the 746Pro would be the one to choose. And it is considerably
cheaper too..."

Bjarne
www.kongsfjord.no

Happy DXing!
Icom IC-756 PRO III with MW mods
RX Drake R8B, SW8 & ERGO software
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop

"Eric F. Richards" wrote:

"Brian Denley" wrote:

Guy Atkins wrote:
I've had a Ten-Tec RX340 in the shack for a month, and it
performed significantly worse on tough DX than my modded R-75 and

the
RA6790GM I used to have.

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA USA

Any RX-340 that gets outperformed by a R75 needs to be taken to the

shop.

I would tend to agree, unless his definition of "tough DX" is
extremely narrow.

I'm fairly certain that Guy knows what 'tough DX' is...

He's a 'dxAce' also!

dxAce
Michigan
USA