Old November 3rd 04, 10:04 AM
Jerry

Default CATV splitter question

A question from a lay person. I'm looking for information on what kind
of CATV splitter to buy. I have Time-Warner analog CATV and don't use
any cable box. All my devices use coaxial RF cable as input. Here's my
setup...

Cable comes into my house's outside junction box into a 4-way splitter
with each output saying 7dB (whatever that means), then goes to four
rooms.

Room 1: Bedroom without any TV. Coax not terminated.

Room 2: Office with cable modem and TV. Cable company used a 2-way
splitter with each output saying 3.5dB.

Room 3: Bedroom with a TV.

Room 4: My main media room. Here's where I need the right coax splitter.
I currently have a 2-way splitter connected to a VCR and a TiVo. I'd
like to add a DVD recorder with a cable-ready tuner. All 3 devices would
have coaxial RF cable input.

My two questions:

1. Should I get a 4-way coax splitter with each output at 7dB and
terminate the unused output? This would leave an output free for future
expansion in Room 4. I saw such a splitter at Radio Shack. Is there a
better brand?

2. Should I terminate the cable in the unused Room 1?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Jerry