Old January 6th 05, 02:38 AM
Joe Analssandrini

Default Wellbrook ALA 330S on MW

Hello All,

Many people (including myself) have questioned the performance of the
Wellbrook ALA 330S Active Loop Antenna on MW.

I purchased mine last March based on good reviews in PASSPORT TO WORLD
BAND RADIO 2004 (I was quite desperate at the time, due to local
restrictions on outdoor SW antennas [none allowed] and EXTREME local
electrical noise). Frankly, as I rarely DX on the MW band, I was
concerned only with SW performance.

I have my antenna mounted in my attic atop a Radio Shack rotator.

According to the 2005 PASSPORT, the MW performance has been improved on
the latest production units.

This must have included mine.

It was good enough to pick up the Ukraine on 1431 kHz last night
(coming in clearly as WSNW, 5 kW, Newark, NJ, about 100 miles from my
location, faded out. The fades would last about one or two minutes,
enough to clearly hear the Russian language broadcast which, according
to the WRTH 2005, runs 1200[!] kW).

I was also able to hear various Canadian and Cuban stations
loud-and-clear.

I only spent about an hour and a half listening to the MW (0330 - 0500
UTC) but it was quite interesting. This was the first time, since I
have owned it, that I have tried MW DXing with it (my receiver is an
AOR AR7030 Plus).

In any event, it shows me that the Wellbrook ALA 330S is an adequate
antenna for those who wish to do some casual (or maybe more) MW DXing.
Best,

Joe