Old January 6th 05, 04:24 AM
dxAce

Stinger wrote:

"dxAce" wrote in message

Stinger wrote:

This story is posted on Slashdot today:

"A ham radio operator in New London, North Carolina correctly copied an
80
meter CW beacon in Wappingers Falls, New York, a distance of 546.8 miles.
The kicker is, the beacon station, an Elecraft K1, was putting out 40.6
uW
(40.6 millionths of a Watt) -- which works out to 13,467,980 miles per
watt!"

The story and comments thread is he

http://tinyurl.com/3jvgc

Pretty cool.

-- Stinger

Cool?

I've done far better than that mileage wise with some HIFER beacons.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

No doubt. But the story isn't simply distance, it's that the transmitter
was putting out only 40.6 millionths of a Watt and it was copied correctly
by a HAM over 540 miles away.

Yes, and my point was that I've copied low power (lower power, please read) over
a longer distance.

Relax -- I'm still trying to hear Diego Garcia, and I very much appreciate
your alerting me when they're broadcasting. Sooner or later, I'm going to
bag 'em.

-- Stinger