Old January 11th 05, 09:37 PM

big boy now wrote:
Steve do you have your wellbrook mounted on an antenna rotor..
how far from your home do you have your wellbrook located.
as i read on the wellbrook website that they recommend the loop to be

mounted as far as possible from your home...
i have quite a large garden about 45 feet long by about 20 feet.
20 feet being the longest distance from my house...
is it just me or is the entire HF band suffering bad conditions as in

the
daytime hours my receiver is receiving 9+ of mush and i can hardly

hear any
stations over this mush only very local transmitting stations. and it

don't
seem to get any better at night time with only a slight drop in

mush.....i
may well order the Wellbrook.
is there much difference in the wellbrook ALA-330S and theALA-1530

loop....i
normally listen into most of the HF bands from 5.000kHz to 30MHz

depending
on what i want to listen to and the time of day or night..

John

I am using the ALA-330S under less than ideal circumstances, but it
still performs extremely well. I live in an apartment building in
Brooklyn, with no yard and no garden whatsoever. So, I really had to
think carefully about how I would use this antenna. I had little luck
with it indoors, as it picked up too much QRM. Others find that it
works well in the attic, but I don't have an attic. Before I even
ordered the Wellbrook, I used a small portable radio to demarcate, at
least roughly, the boundaries of the 'noise envelope' surrounding my
building. I found that whenever I could get out a mere six feet (that's
right, just six feet!) from the building, reception cleared up
*dramatically*. My first plan was to put the Wellbrook on the roof of
my apartment building, but it's especially noisy up there with power
lines, etc. So, at present, I have the Wellbrook mounted on a
horizontal mast that is attached to a fire escape and that extends
about 9 feet away from the building. I know this scenario is far from
the one Wellbrook recommends, but you'd be surprised at how quiet
reception is for me now. If you read some of the reviews available on
the Wellbrook website, you'll notice some of them also remarking that
placement of the antenna doesn't seem as critical as the Wellbrook
literature suggests. It's not at all far from my building;
nevertheless, my reception is whisper quiet.

I do not currently have the Wellbrook attached to a rotor. Almost
everything I listen to falls between 3 and 30 mhz, and the signals
there (especially at 5+ mhz) just aren't very directional--or so it
seems to me. Others may disagree about what's best. I found it very
important to get the antenna *outdoors*, but it seems omnidirectional
on the frequencies that interest me.

The ALA-330S is optimized for SW and is designed to attenuate strong MW
signals. In fact, I find that it still works very well on MW and I have
never had any problem with overloading. At the same time, I understand
that the ALA-1530 is optimized for MW, but nevertheless performs
admirably on SW. I went for the 330S, since SW is my primary interest.
I doubt you could go wrong with either antenna.

I suggest that you consult the excellent reviews of this antenna that
are available in this group, on the Wellbrook website and elsewhere on
the internet. This is an especially good one, I think:
http://www.radiointel.com/review-wellbrook.htm

Good luck!

Steve