Old January 13th 05, 12:31 AM
dxAce

Sanjaya wrote:

"dxAce" wrote in message ...

Sanjaya wrote:

I saw at http://www.radiointel.com that Liypn told Russ
eBay has stopped allowing the word "Degen" to appear
on eBay auctions, due to a complaint by Degen. Not much
information other than that.

I went to eBay and checked Liypn's auctions. Sure enough
he's selling DE1103s etc. with no mention of "Degen". Then
I checked Brochhi's stuff. He's still using the Degen name.

Here's what it says at radiointel.com:

Ebay Bans The Use Of The Word "Degen" On Auctions
Thanks to Ebay seller Liypn we learn that Ebay as prohibited
the use of the word "Degen" on their auction site. This is result of a
complaint filed by Degen GmbH Communication with Ebay as
unauthorized use of intellectual property rights, copyright, trademark, etc.

Does anyone know why this happened?

That's interesting. It would appear that that company of course is in Germany and
looks as though they have nothing to do with 'Degen' radios per se. So one gets
into copyright, trademarks etc.

So it looks like a simple case of a trade name dispute and since eBay does
business in Deutscheland perhaps they felt it best to remove it.

The Chinese perhaps are not to good at respecting trade names?

dxAce
Michigan
USA

So maybe they'll choose a new name?
I hope it's not like the sewing machine thing.
A US marketing expert went to China to help
them get off the ground with selling a new
sewing machine.
He asked the company chief what the brand name of
the sewing machine would be.
The honcho said "Typical. Typical Sewing Machines."
Trying not to laugh the marketing guy asked,
"Why would you name the brand 'Typical'?"
Without hesitating, the Chinese entrepeneur responded,
"Why not? You have 'Standard' Oil."

I would put forth the 'Dang' trademark.

Then one can say... I've got a Dang 1103...

And someone else could respond... That's cool, but my Dang 1107 is better.

And so it goes.

dxAce
Michigan
USA