Old January 17th 05, 05:03 PM
Evan Platt

On 17 Jan 2005 08:23:00 -0800, wrote:

Hello, I've just about given up on trying to understand Shortwave
Bands. Can't find any info on the internet! I can't believe I can't
find this info on the internet!

I'm looking at purchasing a shortwave radio. I've seen radios that
showcase SW1/sw2/sw3/sw4/ etc...

Then I see radios that showcase MW/LW/SW/PS? (poice scanner)? etc...

Ok so are the MW/LW/SW/PS ... the same as SW1/SW2/SW3/ etc.?

In other words if I buy a radio with say 6 or 10 shortwaves does that
mean I can tune in to MW/LW/SW/PS and so forth? I wanna be able to
listen to the marine channels, police scanners, aviation talk, and then
all of the world bands out there. YOu see I cannot even get the
terminology right. I'm having a lot of trouble just trying to learn
this stuff so I can go out and buy the DAMN radio!!!

so in essence I want to listen to all the bands or waves that are
available to me. I wanna see what interests me ... I thought listening
to all these bands were neat. Say can you also listen in to the NASCAR
races on SW radios? I notice you can buy a scanners that does just
that...

Thanks for any light that you can shed on this!

Although I can't help you in the sense you want, a good starter is at
http://home.teleport.com/~nb6z/glossary.htm

MW is medium wave, .3 - 3 mhz, LW is Long wave, 150-300 khz, sw is
short wave, PS I'm not sure on. SW/1 /2/3 / etc is I believe Sony's
'name' for them, but I'm not sure how they translate, i.e. SW1 is MW
or what not.

As to Nascar, I'm sure you could pick up Nascar on a fairly
inexpensive handheld scanner (I believe they're VHF). Now I'm no SW
expert by any means, but the more bands a s/w receiver has, the more
expensive the unit will likely be.

You may be better off buying a short wave receiver, and then a fairly
inexpensive handheld scanner.

Others will I'm sure chime in.

Evan