Old June 28th 03, 01:26 AM
Gary

(Gary) wrote in message . com...
This is a friendly reminder that Dale Kight, NH6VR is again
fraudulently posting ads that state he has equipment for sale. Upon
receiving payment, he then dissapears. This has just happened to me
after he posted some equipment for sale through the FT817 yahoo group.
Seems he is repeating his history of three years ago. I have been
collecting a fair ammount of information about and evidence against
Dale to use in court. If anyone else hears of his renewed activity,
please let me know. Wish I had known of this two weeks ago...

He has historically used the following e-mail addresses:
(current)

You can easily find his spam through searches of Google groups.

He operates a repeater by said call in Maui, Hawaii.

He owns a store called "Treasure Island" two blocks from his residence
in Maui.

He also has a record with the US Postal Inspection Service documenting
past mail fruad claims.

Court documents relating to restraining orders and garnished wages
against him can be found at the Hawaii State Judiciary website at
http://www.courts.state.hi.us/index.jsp and by searching for "Dale
Kight".

So, let this serve as a warning to steer clear of Mr. Kight unless you
too want to become engaged in legal claims against him.

-Gary, N4TXI

UPDATE

Guys, it seems I may be eating crow, but after two weeks I have
received my radio. Let it be known right now that nobody is more
shocked than I. While this situation does have a happy ending, heed
these warnings which are good for both buyers and sellers, which I
have learned (and should have noticed):

1) Always search someone's history before engaging in a transaction.
I'm net-savy, and even I didn't think to do this. What was I
thinking? A five minute search would have saved me many sleepless
nights.

2) Moneygrams just feel "seedy". At least I didn't send a moneygram,
but given that I was asked to send it in the name of a "rush account",
it should have screamed to me "this will be difficult, if not
impossible, to trace!"

3) Money orders do -not- protect the buyer. You can file a claim with
the postal inspection service, but unless you lost thousands, your
claim will sit in a file.

4) Be weary when addresses you're told don't match what's listed on
QRZ.com, or other online references.

5) "Recall of Mail" forms are not guaranteed to work. This is a form
you can fill out at the post office in hopes of having mail you sent
returned to you.

6) Getting your money from someone is expensive, if not prohibitive,
to do on your own. Had I wanted to pursue Dale, I would have had to
hire a lawyer and fly to Hawaii to go to court.

I'm sure there are other lessons as well that will sink in as time
goes by. But even though my situation worked out, I look back and see
many, many signs that should have kept me from sending any money in
the first place. I was stupid (some will say I still am, just not
quite as much)

For now, I'm glad the nightmare is over. -Gary

ps. if anyone has questions or comments regarding my situation, feel
free to e-mail me directly in addition to the group, as I don't always
hit the newsgroups often.