Old November 6th 04, 07:18 PM
gibberdill

Default Transmission Lines & Electrical Code

I have a new house and my main concern is not having my homeowner's
insurance nullified in the case of fire because of my ham radio setup.

I have regular coax running 100 watts through the attic.

1)Is this a violation of the National Electrical Code?

NA4G wrote:

"The National Electrical Code requires 4 inch creepage distances
and clearances between any transmitter conductor inside the building
and normal interior electrical lines. It also requires 2 foot clearance
between antennas and leadins and any other electrical lines outside.
It also requires 3 inch creepage and airgap distances beween the the
antenna and leadin lines and any building surface. The requirement
for the ``insulating support'' is nonabsorbent treated pins or brackets
with insulators having not less than 3 inch creepage and airgap distances.
(reference N.E.C. Section 810)."
( From: Robert D. Keys )
Subject: best stand offs for ladder line?

Newsgroups: rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Date: 1998/04/02 )

I may wish to go to higher power, maybe 1000 Watts and run ladder line (450
Ohm window-line) outside the house.
3-inch standoffs outside the house are a cosmetic problem.

2) Is there a safe way to run the ladder line through portions of the attic?
What about housing it in 1" PVC pipe and maintaining at least 4 inch
creepage distance within the attic? Is PVC prohibited in the attic?

3) If a 3-inch airgap distance is required between the leadin lines and any
building surface, wouldn't that require at least a 6-inch hole in the wall
of the building to bring the line in? There must be another explanantion...

I'm sure this sort of thing has come up in the past!