Old August 7th 03, 03:29 AM
dxlover

Great topic between you and Steve, I like this thread, I'm saving it for
future reference.

Great to read a shortwave post in here again. :-) Good job guys!

--
~*~*~Monitoring the Spectrum~*~*~
***GO BEARCATS***
"Mike Maghakian" wrote in message
om...
on the surface what you say is true, but a bit of digging finds you
wrong for the majority of receivers out there. I must repeat I am
positioning this as an elcellent SWL filter, NOT as a 4/8 DX filter.

I propose the following receivers have worse selectivity than my
filter. you must look at the 60db point as well, a 6/20 filter is a
LOT worse than a 8/12 filter in my book, I am referring to the wide
filter, not the narrow filter with is usually USELESS for SWL work and
can only be used for DX/IDing a station.

R-600
R-1000
R-2000
R-5000 with stock AM filter
FRG-7
FRG-7700
FRG-8800
DX-300
DX-302
DX-394
bearcat DX-1000
R-71
RF-2600
RF-2800
RF-2900
RF-4800
RF-4900

I could go on but when a filter is spec's at 6/15, what that means is
that the 6Khz position is AT BEST 6KHz and is usually 8 KHz!!!!!!! and
usually receivers below $1000 have 6/20 filters that are trash. there
are exceptions but for the most part the industry has everyone fooled,
they had me fooled until I did filter research this year.
my filter is NOT a DX filter it is a great SWL filter, but most
receivers have a sucky DX and SWL filter selection. 2.4/9 is a sucky
DX filter, most receivers come close but seriously drop the ball.

also as a point of reference, the famous Kiwa filter is an LF-4H, it
is a 4Khz filter that he wisely sells as a 6 KHz filter because he
hasn't been tricked by the industry as everyone else has.

the ultimate soluton is to replace both filters in a receiver , the
wide being my filter and the narrow being a nice 4/10 filter, NOT a
4/15 filter.

N8KDV wrote in message

Mike Maghakian wrote:

most receivers don't come with adequate selectivity. now for a small
amount and with a bit of skill you can change that. check out the
LF-D6 ceramic filter on my web page.

http://maghakian.home.att.net/

Oh yes. what receiver(s) are you proposing that these filters be put in?