Old November 8th 04, 10:44 PM
Gene Fuller

Richard,

I am quite familiar with standing waves, thank you. I have no
disagreements with Terman, Kraus, Balanis, or any other legitimate experts.

You can reread what I said, if you care to understand, rather than pick
a sentence out of context.

73,
Gene
W4SZ

Richard Harrison wrote:
Gene, W4SZ wrote:
"Standing waves are not static."

Incredible!

My "American College dictionary" defines "standing wave": "a
distribution of wave displacements , such that the distribution in space
is periodic, with fixed maximum and minimum points, with the maxima
occuring everywhere at the same time, as in vibration of strings,
electric potentials, acoustic pressures, etc."

Note the word "fixed" in the definition. That`s a synonym for "static".

For how this applies to antennas and transmission lines, see page 177 of
Kraus` "Antennas", third edition, Figure 6-7. Notice that current
reverses 1/2-wavelength back from the antenna`s open-circuit endjust as
it does in the case of the open-circuit transmission-line, as shown by
Terman on page 92 of "Electronic and Radio Engineering", 1955 edition,
and on page 94 in FiG. 4-5 (a). This all starts at the reflection point
and progresses the same regardless of the length of the antenna or
transmission-line. It is due to superposition of the forward and
reflected waves, just as Cecil maintains.

Advice: Never argue with Kraus and Terman.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI