Old January 21st 05, 03:39 PM
Cecil Moore

What is the reason a capacitor is added to a shunt fed antenna. Most
importantly why don't we just use an antenna tuner? Is there really a
big difference...Thank you

Caps are cheaper than antenna tuners? One disadvantage
of shunt caps is that their reactance goes down as
frequency in increased thus requiring a separate cap
per band. I prefer a shunt coil whose reactance increases
with frequency so it can be left in place. It gives the
proper amount of parallel inductive reactance on 75m,
twice as much reactance on 40m, 4x on 20m, and 8x on 10m
thus having less effect as frequency is increased.

One other way to accomplish the above matching to 50 ohms
is to use a transformer, either a conventional one or a
transmission line transformer (UNUN).
--
73, Cecil
http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp