Old August 24th 03, 12:22 PM
Ian White, G3SEK

Dan wrote:

So Chipman states quite clearly that zero reflected voltage wave
magnitude does _not_ mean maximum power transfer. On the contrary,
maximum power is transferred only when there is a non-zero voltage wave
reflection (assuming a complex Zo line). Counter arguments along the
lines of "Well that doesn't seem right to me so therefore Chipman must
be wrong" don't carry much weight given Chipman's credentials.

Thanks for that posting, Dan, and for what looks like a very clear
summary.

Just one point, about that very last word: what are Chipman's
"credentials", really? They are not that he is a well-known[*] textbook
author, college professor, PhD, or anything like that. This discussion
is already way overloaded with personal "credentials" of that kind!

Chipman's true credentials are that he has thought about this subject,
noticed the apparent problem, worked it out, and presented clear,
correct conclusions in a way that other people can follow. Those are the
only credentials that really count.

[*] Well-known to some college students in the USA, perhaps? I'd never
heard of him, but Dan's summary suggests this book might be worth
looking for.

Editor, 'The VHF/UHF DX Book'
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek