Old January 21st 05, 04:38 PM
Joel Kolstad

"John Miles" wrote in message
My suspicion is that PICs are a bit underpowered for all the DSP hackery
that the other guys are talking about. I could be wrong, though; I have
limited experience with them.

It's true that 'regular old PICs' are pretty slow, but for a low speed
(couple thousand bits per second) FSK modem, a processor with a MIP or so
could do the job using the 'cheap and sleazy' approach I outlined.

Ubicom does has some PIC clones that run at =50MIPS, although I'm not sure
if they have hardware multipliers. The TI MSP430 line of microcontrollers
have models that, while they're running at some tens of MIPS, have a
slightly weird but completely workable hardware multiplier/accumulator and a
many channel ADC and duals DACs -- a very nice 'hacker's modem on a chip' if
I've ever seen one.

Hmm... I wonder if there's anyone doing QRP PSK31 work out there...

---Joel Kolstad