Old September 3rd 03, 03:28 AM
Sven Franklyn Weil

In article , Stepan
Novotill wrote:

A diode, ballast, or capacitor in series with each lamp would be

That would have been the proper solution. There are these little
buttons you stick to the tip of the screw-base of the bulb.

You then screw this entire thing into the socket. It's called a "bulb
saver" and is essentially a tiny diode in series that chops the
voltage across the bulb in half.

I assume the bulb bases for these exit lights are much smaller than
Edison based household bulbs (intermediate base perhaps?) and the
bulb savers I've seen are only for Edison sockets.

I think some EXIT lamp manufacturers were also selling LED retrofit
kits for some of these lights.

Also, door slamming and vibration could have been a partial reason for
premature lamp failure.

But now we're getting WAAYYYYYY off topic here.

--
Sven Weil
New York City, U.S.A.