Old September 3rd 03, 11:54 AM
Spehro Pefhany

On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 03:31:59 -0700, the renowned Watson A.Name - "Watt
Sun" wrote:

In article ,
mentioned...
On Wed, 03 Sep 2003 02:28:32 GMT, the renowned (Sven
Franklyn Weil) wrote:

You then screw this entire thing into the socket. It's called a "bulb
saver" and is essentially a tiny diode in series that chops the
voltage across the bulb in half.

snip

The RMS voltage across the bulb is reduced by ~29%.

Ooh, DejaVu, I think we've had this discussion before...

It's like the UL about pulsing LEDs to get more brightness, it just
keeps coming around.

The bulb savers that I used back in the '70s were varistors. They
slowed down the turn-on of the light. They were low resistance when
warm, and high when cold. There was no diode.

I've seen the diodes, not the varistors. But I have no doubt you're
right. Probably very similar to the inrush limiters used on PC power
supplies, minus the leads.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany