Old September 4th 03, 10:36 PM
Lizard Blizzard

Stepan Novotill wrote:

On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 03:31:59 -0700, Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun"
wrote:

The bulb savers that I used back in the '70s were varistors. They
slowed down the turn-on of the light. They were low resistance when
warm, and high when cold. There was no diode.

These were actually Metal Oxide NTC thermistors back then (not Metal
Oxide Varistors), since silicon diodes were at that time just a
curiosity in the "ELECTRICAL" world as opposed to the "ELECTROMICS"
world.

I think you have that backwards. Back then, the radio and TV sets were
still using 5U4 TOOBS for rectifiers, whereas the electrical world
already had equipment with SCRs up to the size of hockey pucks that
could handle up to 1200 amps (http://www.cehco.com/sda.htm), and 1N1184
series of 35 amp stud mount rectifiers were common in equipment
(http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/T032/0547.pdf). And your average battery
charger had diodes in it, it just so happened that the manufacturers
were still stuck back in the "Stink Stack" days, still using selenium
rectifiers.

The problem with the Diode or the NTC solution, is that it does
nothing to save the bulb from line transients.

The NTC worked well because most bulb failures occurred during turn-on.

[snip]

Stepan