Old September 17th 03, 02:16 PM
Caveat Lector

I decided to try Echolink to see what it was all about.
Some observations:

1. No calling CQ endlessly for a desired country -- just see if they are
logged on.
Count for DXCC - Nope
Maybe u are traveling abroad and have some questions.
Like about repeaters config and locations. WX, transportation, clothing
etc..

2. No QSB, QRM, Contests, Nets, and folks breaking in for a QSL Card

3. Bands are kaput or no propagation to desired location -- use VoIp

4. Instant communication with a Ham relative or old time Ham buddy who has
no HF gear or HF privileges.
Or no propagation. Or maybe they are stashed away in an HOA or old folks
home.

5. You can communicate world wide with VHF/UHF linking or plunked down at
the computer. At zero cents/minute

6. No RFI Problems

7. No or small antennas - (HOA's are agin that) - indeed one can use indoor
antennas. Or the computer
-----------------------

Well is it Radio ?? Nope not in the sense of the word -- since the internet
is involved in the path.

Does it let one communicate with Hams around the world ? Yes
Is that a bad thing? No

Use a cell phone instead? Intrusive and pricey. How do I get a phone number
for a Ham in Australia ???
Operator could u give me the phone number for an Amateur Radio Operator in
Sydney ???

Use Chat rooms -- perhaps -- with non hams barging in -- nah pass.

Deter folks from getting on HF -- perhaps -- but many won't
get upgraded anyway or can't spring for HF gear and antennas (HOA or money).

Maybe later the thrill of talking across the world will inspire many to get
on HF
(and jump into the enormous endless pileups when xyz comes on the band)
Hey I worked you last month -- just wanted to see if I cud break the pileup!
But I love the HFbands and pileups - been there done that, still do!

Ham VoIp -- Just another way to communicate with Hams around the country or
the world.
With some obvious advantages!

And this from one who has worked just about everything on the DXCC list
and has 5 log books full of QSO's in SSB, CW, RTTY and PSK31
and five shoeboxes of QSL cards

And I know many Hams who are avid HFers who also use VoIp.

Times and technology have changed folks -- time to explore ALL the Ham
communication paths.

--
73 From The Signal In The Noise
Caveat Lector Ya All
"David" wrote in message
I seems all the Echolinkers are missing the point. They complain about all
the things that make Ham radio interesting. Don't get me wrong, I like
computers. I am an Information system manager, but that's not radio. I

guess
everybody to their own.....I just can't see the point of talking on a
computer. I would get just as much out of talking on a cell phone or a
wireless phone in the house.....whatever floats your boat?????
"MD" wrote in message
.. .

"g3zhi" wrote in message
There are now over 132,000 callsigns registered in 139 different

countries.

There are daily additions, changes and deletions with over 1,000 new

calls
validated each week.

We might as well kiss our frequency allocations goodbye.
If we don't use them, were going to lose them.