Old September 17th 03, 04:58 PM
Ric

Well in response to your comment . well as for the ham fraternity, have you
listened to alot of repeaters or better yet 75/80 meters. i hear nothing
good on 75/80 meter . cussing new hams . old ham telliong no codes they are
not hams and the such. huh .. maybe i am confused ...But i hear alot more
running new hams away.than i do welcoming them to the hobby.. I ask this how
many no code hams have heard you don't belong here . go get your code.
"MD" wrote in message
.. .

"Ric" wrote in message
Are you confused... echolink is a voice over ip program which has over

the
air links users as well as computer users just the same. why is it so

hard
for olders hams to accept change

Ric,

This same arguement has been going on with our local hams for quite some
time. My personal opinion, and my opinion only is this. I got into radio
for the fascination of being able to speak into a microphone and someone
halfway around the world answering me. To me slapping on a headset and
hitting the space bar when I want to talk just doesn't seem like radio. I
live in a very restricted antenna neighbourhood but I will not let

echolink
take the place of my ham radio enjoyment. For those who have no choice,

it
may be the only way for them to enjoy the hobby. If more hams jump on the
Echolink bandwagon and use the internet to communicate than the airwaves,

my
feeling is it will only spell disaster for the ham fraternity.

Now if Kenwood could cleverly disquise a computer as a small tabletop

radio,
and Heil made a headset to match, heck I might even be fooled into

thinking
it was radio.

73, de VE3TMT