Old November 14th 04, 04:41 AM
RHF

JK, RC and CM,

I want to Thank Each of You for your replies to this question.

Note: I am only talking about a SWL "Receive Only" Antenna here.

I suspect that may be one reason that this Far-End Loaded AM/MW
Coil may work is the fact that the RF Systems EMF Antenna is
'only' Sixteen Feet (16') Long; and the Two Inch to Three Inch
(2"-3") Ferrite Rod at the End of the Wire Antenna Element does
have some 'measurable effect' on improving the AM/MW Frequency
Band performance of such a short Antenna.
- Relative Size may be the Controlling Factor for this 'unique'
small Antenna

? ? Would this 'trick' work with a Larger {Longer} SWL Antenna ? ?

My more specific point of interest would be in whether using a
Ferrite Rod with the Wire Antenna Element Wrapped as a AM/MW
Coil around it would have some meaningful effect on a Horizontal
Random Wire Antenna that was 75-100 Feet long.
- For a Horizontal Random Wire Antenna ?WHY? 'place' the
Ferrite Rod at the Far-End of the Wire Antenna Element ?
- Why not 'place' the Ferrite Rod near the Feed-Point-End ?
- Why not 'place' the Ferrite Rod near the Middle ?
- Why not 'place' the Ferrite Rod near the slightly Off-Center
38%/62% like a Windom ?

What about a "Low Noise' Inverted "L" Antenna that is 45-100 Feet
long. For an Inverted "L" Antenna ?WHY? not 'place' the Ferrite
Rod at the "Top" of the Vertical Leg where the Antenna Wire Element
transitions from Vertical to Horizontal ?
- 15 Feet Up Ferrite Rod AM/MW Ferrite Coil and 30 Feet Out.
- 20 Feet Up Ferrite Rod AM/MW Ferrite Coil and 40 Feet Out.
- 25 Feet Up Ferrite Rod AM/MW Ferrite Coil and 50 Feet Out.
- 33 Feet Up Ferrite Rod AM/MW Ferrite Coil and 67 Feet Out.
Or again here would having the Ferrite Rod and Coil at the
Far-End work some 'magic' trick ? and Why ?

in search of some ideas and answers ~ RHF
..
..
= = = (RHF) wrote in message
= = = . com...
FO&A,

Here is my Question: Is there any sense in putting a Ferrite Rod
at the Far-End of a Random Wire Antenna with the Wire from the
End of the Wire Antenna Element 'wrapped' around it in a
"Tuned Coil" to improve the AM/MW Band Reception ?

* Any 'theory' behind why this Idea might Work ?

* Does this Idea actually Work ?

* Or is this Idea just so much Antenna 'hype' and Sales Marketing

I am Asking these Questions is because of what I have read about
the RF Systems "EMF" Electro-Magnetic-Field Passive Wire Antenna
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/0743.html

In "John Wagner's Shortwave Tips & Tricks" he writes:
http://www.dxing.com/tips.htm
"The EMF antenna has two 35mm film canister looking objects
connected to it. The canister on the Far-End is actually an
excellent "Tuned Ferrite Rod" designed for MW (Medium Wave)
and really helps any receiver without a built in MW Antenna
Rod. Canister two (in middle) is a Balun that helps SW
reception very much."

i want to know ~ RHF
.
.