Old November 16th 04, 08:18 AM
Mark Keith

Howard wrote in message . ..
On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 23:25:12 -0800, "Harbin"
wrote:

Howdy Y'all:
Chushcraft says that the Ringo Ranger II is the latest design featuring
three 5/8 wave radiating elements and an adjustable 1/8 wave phasing stub.
My question is why a 1/8 phasing stub? Should it be more like 3/8 or
somthing, and why only
one phasing stub, should there not be 2? And is the outside of the coax that
comes from the ground plane a radiating
element? This antenna has me scratching my head, any ideas?

Harbin

Sounds like marketing in action; I'd call it a two element colinear
with a decoupling section at the bottom.

So do I...

Just for giggles, what gain
does Witchcraft claim?

I'm sure too much....:/ They always did tend to lean to funky gain
numbers, and references for verticals...In the real world, the RR2 is
considered slightly inferior to the dual 5/8 isopole, which claimed a
fairly realistic 3 dbd if I remember right. And they don't claim the
lower decoupling cone on the isopole is a 3rd element either. Also,
the element lengths on the RR2 are a little off from the normal dual
5/8.. I think thats one reason for the "odd" length of the phasing
stub. It is a fairly decent antenna though for the price. The lower
decoupling section did help the antenna a lot. But I don't really
consider the 50 inch coax section above the radials a 3rd radiating
element. If I'm thinking this right, if that was the case, it would be
out of phase with the lower actual element...?? Or it would
seem..There is no phasing stub between the coax section, and the lower
element. Just the matching device. One tidbit...I found a simple well
decoupled 1/4 wave GP with the tip at the same height as the tip of
the RR2 is nearly equal to the RR2..Pretty close anyway. MK