Old November 16th 04, 08:54 PM
Tam/WB2TT

"Uwe" wrote in message
I like to put up a big hi gain FM broadcast band antenna (by big I mean
15 -
20 feet).

I can get the formulas for the spacing of the reflectors and directors
from
literature, but it always says further optimization will be necessary.

This 'further optimization' might prove difficult and I wonder if anybody
here has experience with this or has built one of these antennas??

Uwe

Uwe,

I suspect you can buy a commercially made FM antenna for the cost of
materials that it would cost to build your own (excluding the rhombic).
Optimization is nor very practical unless you want to spends 100's of $$$ on
test equipment. The large Radio Shack FM antenna, if they still make it,
should do the job. An ANTENNA MOUNTED preamp might also help. Since you are
trying to pick up distant stations, antenna height is very important.

Tam/WB2TT