Old January 21st 05, 11:31 PM
Dave_In_CT

Dave_In_CT wrote:

Hi all,
I have a icf-sw77 that has been working fine for years. I lost AM
receive
last night. FM works fine and I checked different antennas, jacks,
power
and everything else I could think of.

I came home from work and tried it again. I can scan through the band
and
toggle freq. no problem. I did see it come back a couple times for a
split
second and then go dead again.

Has anyone had this problem before?
I called sony and they said.
repair flat rate = $130.00
exchange = $383.00

I would like to trouble shoot it before sending if anyone has any ideas
on
this???

It seems to be in the jog dial area. When I push in the dial hard it gets
intermitent.
I did get a rapair cost quote of $130.00 from Sony.

Problems like that are often caused by one or more bad solder joints. If
you know how to open the case of your SW-77, you might be able to locate
the specific area on the circuit board which is most sensitive to being
pushed with an insulted tool like a tooth pick or plastic stick. If you
do find a suspect area, look carefully at the solder joints with a
magnifying glass for evidence of cracks or a dull appearance to the
solder, which should be shinny.
There is also the possibility of a loose connection with one of the
wiring connectors, especially the ones on the ends of ribbon cables. Try
wiggling them to see if the problem goes away.
BTW- Has the radio ever been dropped? This could have damaged a circuit
board or caused something to become loose.

I will give it shot! thanks