Old November 7th 03, 08:51 AM
Gary Coffman

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 13:10:55 -0500, "C.W. THomas" wrote:
I'm looking for an inexpensive stereo zoom microscope around 7x to 15 or
20x. My eyes aren't what they used to be. ;^)
A fixer upper would be a possibility if its complete. (I'm cheap and also
on a fixed budget).

There's a guy who shows up at the Dayton Hamvention every year
with a table full of these microscopes. Prices range from about $150
to $450. I bought a B&L stereo microscope head from him a few years
back for $150 (it had no stand, he wanted $300 for a stand). I made
a stand.

Note that focusing on this particular microscope is done by moving
the whole head up and down on the stand. I had some brass rack
and a pair of pinions salvaged from something else which I used
to fabricate a focusing rack for the stand.

I'd love to have one of the new sort which has a focusing macro
objective lens (works like the lens on a 35mm camera) and a
suspension arm to float the head over whatever you're working
on. I played with one of those, and the tool lust was almost
unbearable. But the price was just too much (a bit over $1200).
So I make do with my homemade setup.

Gary