Old November 8th 03, 04:47 AM
VHFRadioBuff

Had a nasty argument with the president of the local dying, struggling ham
club of 18 paying members, of which, only 12 owned a radio, and of that 12,
only 9 have a radio that will get past the "lock" we put on the repeater.
(we went CTCSS due to pagers).

I'm sorry to hear about the local ham club. Our local ham club (Jersey Shore
Amateur Radio Club) has never been stronger with an excellent group that meets
every Thursday. The first Thursday is the meeting. The rest are social
gatherings, usually an informal dinner/get together. There are repeaters on
10m, 2m, 1.25m, and 70cm sponsored by the club. Many of the local club members
also get on the statewide 70cm linked system, which has a local 2m link and is
accessible via Echolink. Unfortunately I don't have the time to join the club.
As far as repeaters with tones, you couldn't talk on most of the repeaters here
in NJ without the ability to use PL tones. It's rare to find one that has none.
Some of the repeaters are even going to DTS.
73! de Andy KC2SSB - WPYI880 (GMRS)
Beachwood, NJ USA! Grid FM29vw
http://vhfradiobuff.tripod.com