Old November 19th 04, 01:13 PM
Cecil Moore

Jim Kelley wrote:

Cecil Moore wrote:
So why does an attenuated
voltage drop while a current, attenuated by exactly the same
percentage, doesn't drop?

Depends on whether 'a' is in series or in shunt.

It would be too much of a coincidence for 'a', the attenuation
factor, to be the same whether in series or in shunt. Most of
the attenuation at HF is due to I^2*R losses, a series event.

Transmission lines are distributed networks involved with EM wave
energy transmission. I^2*R losses can cause a decrease in current
just as it can cause a decrease in voltage. The sequence of events
is obvious.

1. The RF voltage drops because of I^2*R losses.
2. The proportional E-field decreases because of the voltage drop.
3. Since the E-field to H-field ratio is fixed by Z0, the H-field
decreases as does the ExH power in the wave.
4. Since the RF current is proportional to the H-field, the current
decreases by the same percentage as the voltage.

The chain of cause and effect is obvious. The current decreases
because of I^2*R losses in the transmission line which is a
distributed network, not a circuit.
--
73, Cecil, W5DXP