Old November 19th 04, 10:55 PM
Gene Fuller

Cecil,

I am curious how you separate "reality" from the "math model". I have
never directly measured the properties of open-wire transmission lines
located in the vacuum of free space. Have you?

How do you know that "reality" is correct and the "math model" is wrong?

The second paragraph is even more curious. Do you have a reference for
this migration of energy from the H-field to supply the suffering
E-field? I must have missed that day in class.

73,
Gene
W4SZ

Cecil Moore wrote:

Distributed shunt resistive losses would imply dielectric losses
which certainly exist but are minimum at HF. We could even assume
a worst case open-wire transmission line made from resistance wire
and located in the vacuum of free space. There doesn't seem to be
any valid way to justify asserting that shunt losses exactly equal
series losses in every possible transmission line at every possible
frequency under every possible conditions. Asserting such is just
an admission that one it trying to force reality to match the math
model rather than vice versa.

In a flat transmission line without reflections, if the E-field
drops, the characteristic impedance of the transmission line
forces energy to migrate from the H-field to the E-field, such
that the constant V/I ratio remains equal to Z0. Thus, the H-field
supplies energy to compensate for the losses in the E-field.
--
73, Cecil, W5DXP