Old November 30th 03, 04:10 PM
Jim Weir

There are two varieties. One is a mix of graphite and moly in a syrupy solvent.
One is a mix of copper dust and moly in a pasty solvent. Either one works well
and we notice not a whit of difference in the conduction properties. In the
aircraft industry, we use them rather interchangeably to coat the threads
(lightly) on spark plugs so they won't pull out the helicoils in the heads when
we go to change them annually, on manifold and muffler bolts so we don't have to
drill them out when it comes time to work on them, and on any other thread that
is likely to become corroded into place.

If necessary, you can go to an aviation supply house (Chief Aircraft, Grants
Pass OR; Aircraft Spruce, Fullerton) and buy as much as you need by mail order.
In a really well-stocked automotive supply house you can buy it by the dribble
bottle, pint, or quart.

Jim

"Bob"

-I need some of this stuff for antenna assembly. Anyone know where to get
-it?
-
-For those who don't know what it is, it's a paste you get in a little can or
-tube that you smear on mating metals to avoid having them stick together
-after exposure to the elements. It's also used for soldering irons to make
-replacing tips easier.
-
-I think it's molybdenum disulfide.
-