Old November 30th 03, 07:33 PM
Ian White, G3SEK

Frank Dinger wrote:
Hi Bob ... I applied Permatex anti-seize to the bolts on my tower and the
boom-mast-rotor hardware. The whole works came apart smoothly after being
up for 20 plus years. The material I used between the Al junctions on the
TH-6 was supplied by Hy-Gain in a little metal pill box. Likewise the

stuff
worked great. SS hardware used on the antenna.

======================================
In the UK a very good stuff for outer metal protection is Finigan Waxoyl,
available from many autoparts - and hardware shops.
Living in a windswept area near seawater ,hence with a lot of salt spray ,I
use it on all bolts and nuts and galvanised metal clamps etc.
Of course it is NOT suitable to make galvanic contact between (dissimilar)
metal parts.

Frank GM0CSZ / KN6WH

This is definitely a "me too."

Waxoyl is excellent stuff - a blend of wax and oil (surprise) plus
corrosion inhibitors that really work. I recently pulled out a rotating
pipe mast that had been sitting in a ground socket full of Waxoyl. 10
years of condensation had turned it into more like an oil/wax/water
emulsion, but the bare steel came out looking like new.

In more normal use on nuts and bolts, the oil dries out and the wax
coating hardens, so it also acts as a pretty good thread-lock.

Don't know if Waxoyl is available outside of Britain... but if it isn't,
it should be!

Editor, 'The VHF/UHF DX Book'
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek