Old November 21st 04, 11:24 PM
Frank

Hi Bert,

When I read a testimonial like:
In direct comparisons with a G5RV at the same height,
I am constantly receiving 3 S-Units better when using the Cobra.

I have to wonder about the source.

$90 for zipcord?

Well, opinion aside, I modeled this (each arm is a single wire, folded
back on itself twice) and when I tried to run a SWR sweep in EZNEC
from 2MHz to 30MHz in 0.1MHz steps, EZNEC stalled and gave up.

I suppose this may have been due to warnings of wires being too close.
As it was, I pulled the zip wires apart 1.2" (0.1'). EZNEC wanted a
minimum 6". I tried again with 1MHz steps, and the full sweep drew a
line across the top of the chart (max SWR). Hoping for more
resolution, I tried with 0.2MHz steps, and EZNEC stalled again. Third
time is charm (so the saying goes), and with 0.25MHz steps - it
stalled again.

-sigh-

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

I agree with your comments about the testimonials. A piece of wire is a
piece of wire.

Concerning NEC modeling; the segment lengths should be equal to the wire
spacing. The wire diameter is also a factor to be considered. Anyway, to
establish the validity of the segmentation, I model a parallel wire
transmission line, and see if it is close to the expected impedance. The
antenna appeared to use something similar to 300 Ohm ribbon, so half inch
spacing is probably closer to the correct dimensions.

73,

Frank