Old November 22nd 04, 08:51 PM
Joel Kolstad

Default Beacons with a G5RV

I'm in Portland, Oregon, USA. Over the weekend I strung a G5RV horizonally
about 15-20' off the ground -- it'll go higher once I have the hardware to
do so, however. It's connected to an Icom IC-745. In general, it's working
in that I can get pretty good reception on, e.g., 20m from the east coast.
However, I don't seem to hear any of the beacon states on 14.1MHz. Should I
be able to? It appears that the US beacon state (W6WX) is somewhere in
California, which seems like it should be plenty close, at least with 100W
(i.e., I should at least be able to here the callsigns and the first dash.)

I also have a shortwave receiver that came with a loop antenna. It's not
quite as sensitive as the IC-745, and you need to put it into SSB mode and
tune off-center to hear CW, but it wasn't picking up anything either.

---Joel Kolstad
KE7CDV