Old December 16th 03, 12:19 AM

"Richard Cranium" wrote in message
om...
" wrote in message

news:Q%lDb.121450$_M.630038@attbi_s54...
Marty:

73 or 73s .. the idea is the same and neither reduces intelligibility.

Not correct. "73" (singular) translates to "best wishes" (plural). 73s
would thus translate to "best wisheses", which definitely reduces
intelligibility.

Name or handle... the idea is the same and neither reduces

intelligibility.
Personally, I usually say "I hight Paul." After all, this is more
classically than either Name or Handle. It does reduce intelligibility,

of
course, but that seems to be a small price to pay in exchange for being
correct.

Whenever someone asks me for my "handle", I just say "My name is
Richard". That gets the point across pretty well.

73(s)

Paul AB0SI

"best wishes" is not a true plural. It is idiomatic. One can not parse a
language word by word.. Natural language does not work that way.

73s may grate on your ears, but the meaning is completely clear.

Paul