Old November 23rd 04, 06:04 PM
Gary Schafer

Here is a quote from your previous post where the discussion was about
the tower and lines carrying strike current.

Jack Painter

First, a strike termination device is placed higher than other
equipment with its own down conductor.

Your reply when questioned about placing a down conductor in parallel
with the tower was:
I never suggested such a silly thing! You mistake an earlier reference I made to a bonding conductor.

As far as down conductors go you need to read farther to see what they
are using them for. We are talking about towers here. No down
conductors needed. If you are talking about a building or wooden pole
mounted antenna then that's a different story.

The applications of grounding and bonding principles are not reserved
for an elite society of engineers and electricians as you might like
to think. They are free and available to all. There are no secrets
involved.
Quoting a load of authoritative directives is not a substitute for
understanding.

It is a play of semantics when you say " an important distinction to
understand the difference between bonding and grounding". I would
guess that it does not take too much study to understand that real
ground can not be half way up a tower. So whether you are "bonding" or
"grounding" a cable on a tower, the end result is unmistakably the
same.

It seems that some of the discontinuity may come from lack of basic
understanding of RF principles. Lightning is not just a direct current
event that requires only consideration for high currents.

As far as buried cables go:
I will ask the same question again that you avoided from last time but
instead provided mounds of quotes that do not address the point.

"Do you think that you can bury the feed wire for your long wire
antenna and have it work very well? What do you think will happen to
the RF on it? Will it make it all the way back to your receiver the
same as it would if it were above ground?"

This is a very relevant to "buried coax lines".

73
Gary K4FMX